‘English for Academic Purposes’ means the English you ought to succeed at a university. At SSC , the ‘English Academic Language and Skills’ helps you obtain better grades in your academic essays and examinations.
The English for Academic Purposes course trains you in:
- understanding written academic text
- writing academic essays
- giving academic presentations
- getting involved in academic discussion.
Academic English presentation at Scotland Study Centre
These skills are essential if you'd like to flourish in your academic career.
English for Academic Purposes: a non-traditional approach
On traditional courses, you learn within the way that is traditional.
A‘Body’, and a ‘Conclusion’ for example, you have probably learned that, when writing an academic essay, you need an‘Introduction’. But this sort of basic structure can be as useful as a doctor letting you know that a‘ is had by you head’, a ‘Body’, and ‘Feet’. Easily put, it is useless.
At SSC you truly discover ways to structure academic essays. You learn by:
- using an infinitely more structure that is detailed teaches you what you ought to put into each element of your essay.
- analysing example essays to understand the way they are structured and just how language can be used in them.
- redrafting essays with your teacher in class.
- learning, as you analyse and redraft essays with your teacher, a wide range of basic techniques/tricks which make essay writing much easier and much more effective.
The techniques you learn in the ‘English Academic Language and Skills’ course allow you to: